Summary: A light, refreshing summer dessert great for after dinner or with your morning coffee.
- 1 angel food cake mix
- 1/2 cup Blueberry Syrup
- 1 recipe of buttercream frosting (follows)
- Meringue cookies (optional, for decorating)
- Buttercream frosting:
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lb (4 sticks) unsalted butter, each stick cut into quarters and softened, not melted
- Make the angel food cake according to box directions. Bake it in a sheet pan approximately 17” x 12” x 1”. If your pan is smaller, just make a few cupcakes with the leftover batter, don’t fill tap to top, this will make cake easy to roll.
- Make sure cake is cool, remove from pan and roll up in a towel that is sprinkled with powdered sugar. Set aside. Roll out the cake from the towel onto a parchment or wax paper lined sheet pan. Start at one end and spread The Blueberry Store’s Blueberry Syrup on the entire top of the cake. Apply the frosting. Begin at the short end of the cake and roll the cake onto itself being careful not to roll paper into it. Use paper to keep the cake firmly rolled up. When cake is rolled up, remove and discard the paper, place roll on a serving plate. Use rest of frosting to cover ends, top, and sides of roll. Decorate with meringue cookies if using.
- To make a chocolate roll or frosting add 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for either. Increase sugar 1 1/4 cup.
- Keep cake refrigerated once frosted.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe courtesy of The Blueberry Store, South Haven, Michigan.